A Cove Cuisine Soup & Stew
Hearty Goulash Soupe
Ate this when I was in Europe living...loved the heartiness, tenderness of the beef...a warming comfort food!
Soups & Stews
- 5 slices Bacon, chopped
- 3 pounds Boneless Chuck, trimmed and cut into 1/2 cubes
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 4 mediums Onions, chopped fime
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons Paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Caraway Seeds
- 1/3 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cups Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cups Tomato Paste
- 5 cups Beef Broth
- 5 cups Water
- 1/2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 2 freshs Red Bell Peppers, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 pounds Baking Potatoes, Russet
- 1 In an 8-quart heavy kettle cook bacon over moderate heat, stirring, until crisp and transfer with a slotted spoon to a large bowl. In fat remaining in kettle brown chuck in small batches over high heat, transferring it as browned with slotted spoon to bowl.
- 2 Reduce heat to moderate and add oil. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until golden. Stir in paprika, caraway seeds, and flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Whisk in vinegar and tomato paste and cook, whisking, 1 minute. (Mixture will be very thick.) Stir in broth, water, salt, bell peppers, bacon, and chuck and bring to a boil, stirring. Simmer soup, covered, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes.
- 3 Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Add potatoes to soup and simmer, covered, occasionally until tender, about 30 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper. Soup may be made 3 days ahead and cooled, uncovered, before chilling, covered. Reheat soup, thinning with water if desired.