A Cove Cuisine Soup & Stew
Cove Cuisine Gumbo
A multi-level of tastes and aromas, make this gumbo a delicious winner
Soups & Stews
- 6 cups Cold Water, for the stock
- 1 bunchs Shrimp and Crawfish Heads, for the stock
- 1 tablespoons Oregano Garlic Olive Oil, for the stock
- 1 smalls Yello Onion, chopped, for the stock
- 1 cups Celery Stalks, for the stock
- 1 freshs Carrot, chopped, for the stock
- 2 cloves Garlic, sliced, for the stock
- 1 teaspoons Black Peppercorns, in a spice bag, for the stock
- 1 leafs Bay Leaf, cruched in a spice bag, for the stock
- 2 sticks Thyme, in a spice bag, for the stock
- 1 teaspoons Oregano, dried, in a spice bag, for the stock
- 1 1/4 cups Flour, for the roux
- 1 cups Oregano Garlic olive oil, for the roux
- 1 pkgs Louisiana Cajun Gumbo Base 5 oz ( optional )
- 3 larges Boneless chicken thighs
- 2 wholes Andoullie Sausage, sliced 1/4 thick
- 1 pounds Shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 2 pounds Crawfish, shelled
- 2 cups Okra, sliced
- 1 mediums Yellow Onion, minced
- 1 bunchs Green Onions with tops
- 1 larges Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 sticks Celery, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 wholes Bay Leaves, crushed
- 1 bunchs Parsley, chopped
- 28 oz cans San Marzano Tomatoes, canned
- 1 to tastes Kosher Salt
- 4 dashs Crystal Sauce
- 2 dashs Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoons File Powder
- 3 cups Long Grain Rice
- 1 For the Stock: Get shrimp with the heads on. Remove heads and shells. Pour 1 tbsp olive oil into a medium pot over medium high heat. Add the shrimp shells and heads, thyme sprigs, garlic and bay leaf. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes.
- 2 Add 7 cups water, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and strain through a sieve.
- 3 Remove the skin from the chicken and chop into 3-4 inch pieces. Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown in oregano oil in a skillet. When browned remove from skillet and set aside. Brown the andouille sausage and remove.
- 4 Add some more oil to the skillet and add the onion, garlic, carrots and celery and saute for 3 minutes.
- 5 Over medium high heat, blend oil and flour for the Roux, stir constantly and look for a pale chocolate color. Do not burn! Or mix the Louisiana Cajun Gumbo Base with 2 quarts of water.
- 6 Sprinkle the chicken pieces with Creole seasoning and brown in the oven. Slice the sausage and brown, pouring off all the fat.
- 7 Sauté the onions, green onions, bell pepper and celery if you haven't already added them to the roux, and add to the stock.
- 8 Add the chicken and sausage(s). Add the bay leaves and Creole seasoning (or ground peppers) to taste and stir. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer; let simmer for about 45 minutes. Keep tasting and adjusting seasonings as needed. Put a Sauce Boss CD on for full enjoyment of the mixing of the Gumbo
- 9 Add the okra, parsley and cook another 30 minutes.
- 10 Add shrimp and crawfish and cook 6 - 8 minutes longer until pink. Sprinkle with file if you are using it and serve