A Cove Cuisine Main Dish
Kale and Mushroom Quiche
We use our fresh eggs and fresh picked kale to make this delicious and nutritious quiche
- 1 eachs Pie Crust, 9 inch
- 8 ouncess Baby Portabello Mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 mediums Yellow Onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups Kale, stems removed, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons Water
- 4 freshs Eggs
- 1/2 cups Whole Milk
- 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1/2 teaspoons Nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tablespoons Black Pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cups Fontina Cheese ( Swiss optional ), grated
- 1/4 cups Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1 Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- 2 Place pie pastry into glass or ceramic pie plate. Press bottom and sides into plate and finish the edges of the crust by pressing the tines of a fork against the rim of the crust, or by pursing the edges together between your thumb and forefinger. Refrigerate crust until oven has heated completely. Place pie plate into the oven and bake for 6-7 minutes until set and just starting to brown. Remove crust from oven and set aside.
- 3 Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- 4 In a large skillet, heat one tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add onions to skillet and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms and pinch of salt. Cook 5-7 minutes, until vegetables are tender and mushrooms have given off their liquid, stirring occasionally. Transfer onion mixture to a small bowl.
- 5 Add remaining oil to the skillet and add chopped kale. Cook 1 minute, stirring. Add water and cook until kale is wilted and water has evaporated, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes. Add kale to onion mixture. Set aside.
- 6 In a medium bowl add eggs, milk, cream, nutmeg, remaining salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- 7 Add kale mixture, parmesan and fontina to eggs. Stir to combine.
- 8 Pour filling into pie crust and bake for 45 minutes, until filling is set. Remove from oven. Let quiche cool for half an hour before serving.